For the last 80 years, Western has been the most popular genre in Hollywood and that is no surprise. Who doesn’t like good guys beating bad guys over a piece of land or a nasty deal gone wrong especially when they are dressed in all leather; boots, jacket, and the signature hat? Throw in a pack of cigarettes in the mix along with a raspy voice and we are sold.
For all the western cowboy fans, we have gathered a list of some of the best cowboy movies with all there is to get your attention. Now, you can enjoy and watch them on your Saturday night!
- Geronimo: An American Legend (1993)
- A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)
- The Ridiculous 6 (2015)
- The Hateful Eight (2015)
- In a Valley of Violence (2016)
- Hell or High Water (2016)
- Justice (2017)
- The Killer (2017)
- The Stolen (2017)
- The Ballad of Lefty Brown (2017)
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
- The Power of the Dog (2021)
- The Harder They Fall (2021)
- Montford: The Chickasaw Rancher (2021)
Geronimo: An American Legend (1993)
The tale of the violent street ruffian and his armed resistance to the U.S. Government’s domination of his people.
- Release date: January 1, 1993
- IMDb rating: 6.5/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Director: Walter Hill
- Writer: John Milius (story)
- Top cast: Jason Patric, Gene Hackmen, and Robert Duvall
A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)
A mysterious new woman, Anna, grabs the attention of a lonely man, Albert. After she enters his town, Albert puts his courage to the test against her infamous gunslinger husband to be with her.
- Release date: May 15, 2014
- IMDb rating: 6.1/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 56 minutes
- Director: Seth Macfarlane
- Writers: Seth Macfarlane, Alec Sulkin & Wellesley Wild
- Top cast: Seth Macfarlane, Charlize Theron, and Liam Neeson
The Ridiculous 6 (2015)
A fugitive who was raised by Native Americans finds out that he has five half-brothers. Together the men go on a mission to find their headstrong, good-for-nothing dad.
- Release date: December 11, 2015
- IMDb rating: 4.8/10
- Runtime: 2 hours
- Director: Frank Coraci
- Writers: Tim Herlihy and Adam Sandler
- Top cast: Adam Sandler, Terry Crews, and Jorge Garcia
The Hateful Eight (2015)
In the deadly Wyoming winter, a bounty hunter and his prisoner find shelter in a cabin currently inhabited by a collection of wicked characters.
- Release date: December 30, 2015
- IMDb rating: 7.8/10
- Runtime: 3 hours and 7 minutes
- Director: Quentin Tarantino
- Writer: Quentin Tarantino
- Cast: Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russel, and Jennifer Jason Leigh
In a Valley of Violence (2016)
A mysterious stranger and a random act of brutality drag a town of rebels and morons into the bloody crosshairs of revenge.
- Release date: March 12, 2016
- IMDb rating: 6.1/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 44 minutes
- Director: Ti West
- Writer: Ti West
- Cast: Ethan Hawke, John Travolta, and Taissa Farmiga
Hell or High Water (2016)
Toby and his brother, Tanner, an ex-prisoned criminal, start to rob banks when they are unable to afford their mortgage remittance.
- Release date: August 12, 2016
- IMDb rating: 7.6/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 42 minutes
- Director: David Mackenzie
- Writer: Taylor Sheridan
- Cast: Chris Pine, Ben Foster, and Jeff Bridges
A U.S. Marshal seeking justice for his brother’s murder and tries to defend a small town from a corrupt Mayor and his henchmen with an intention to restore the civil war.
- Release date: September 15, 2017
- IMDb rating: 4/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 39 minutes
- Director: Richard Gabai
- Writers: John Lewis, Shawn Justice, and D.C. Rahe
- Cast: Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Stephen Lang, and Robert Carradine
The Killer (2017)
A Brazilian cowboy about Cabeleira, a scared killer living in the countryside of Pernambuco State in the 40’s.
- Release date: November 10, 2017
- IMDb rating: 6/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 47 minutes
- Director: Marcelo Galvão
- Writer: Marcelo Galvão
- Cast: Maria de Medeiros, Diogo Morgado and Cindy Robinson
The Stolen (2017)
The story of a woman who must find her abducted son, navigating a world she isn’t aware of, on the edge of danger with every heartbeat.
- Release date: November 23, 2017
- IMDb rating: 5.3/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 38 minutes
- Director: Niall Johnson
- Writers: Emily Corcoran and Niall Johnson
- Cast: Alice Eve, Graham McTavish, and Jack Davenport
The Ballad of Lefty Brown (2017)
After witnessing the cold-blood murder of his longtime partner and the newly-elected Senator, Edward Johnson, cowboy Lefty Brown embarks on a journey to find his friend’s killers and serve justice.
- Release date: December 15, 2017
- IMDb rating: 6.3/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 51 minutes
- Director: Jared Moshe
- Writer: Jared Moshe
- Cast: Bill Pullman, Peter Fonda, Stephen Alan Seder, and Kathy Baker
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
Six stories of life and violence in the Old West, following a singing gunslinger, a bank robber, a traveling organizer, an elderly prospector, a wagon train, and a wicked pair of bounty hunters.
- Release date: November 16, 2018
- IMDb rating: 7.3/10
- Runtime: 2 hours and 12 minutes
- Directors: Ethan Coen and Joel Coen
- Writers: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, and Jack London
- Cast: Tim Blake Nelson, Willie Watson, and Clancy Brown
The Power of the Dog (2021)
A dominant rancher replies with mocking cruelty when his brother brings home a new wife and her son until the unexpected comes to pass.
Release date: September 02, 2021
- IMDb rating: 6.8/10
- Runtime: 2 hours and 6 minutes
- Director: Jane Campion
- Writers: Jane Campion and Thomas Savage
- Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, and Jesse Plemons
The Harder They Fall (2021)
When an outlaw Nat Love, finds out that his rival Rufus Buck is being released from prison he reunites with his gang to take Rufus down.
- Release date: October 22, 2021
- IMDb rating: 6.5/10
- Runtime: 2 hours 17 minutes
- Director: Jeymes Samuel
- Writers: Jeymes Samuel and Boaz Yakin
- Cast: Jonathan Majors, Zazie Beetz, and RJ Cyler
Montford: The Chickasaw Rancher (2021)
A Chickasaw man survives great hardships and tragedy to establish a vast ranching empire along the famous cattle highway of the American West.
- Release date: November 01, 2021
- IMDb rating: 6.6/10
- Runtime: 1 hour 36 minutes
- Director: Nathan Frankowski
- Writers: Lucy Tennessee Cole
- Cast: Martin Sensmeier, Dermot Mulroney and Tommy Flanagan
Now grab a bowl of peanuts along with a pack of cold beer and get ready to see some shirtless action. We hope you enjoy all the action-packed movies as much as we did.